Saturday, June 6, 2015

Shangri La, 50 Front St. (June 3)

Overall impression:  I would really like a restaurant to succeed in this location. If you are downtown, stop for lunch. This isn't likely to be destination dining, though.

 http://shangrilarestaurant.net/   (orders can be place online)

Shangri-La is a pan-Asian restaurant right across from Worcester common. At least a couple of eateries have been in this location that I know of, and it has also sat empty. So I'm happy that something is on offer there. The common really is beautiful. Unfortunately the food did not stand out. It wasn't bad, just your standard Americanized Chinese (plus some sushi). Unless you are hungover - then this is damn good hangover food.

Eric and I went on a sunny Wednesday evening, and were seated next to the large windows. The interior is a nice space. Dark and woodsy. When we got there the bar was full and loud classic rock was playing.  After happy hour was over it got kind of quiet. Just us and a few other couples.

We started with spring rolls (oily and salty, good-tasting comination). Eric had kung pao chicken and I had the chili garlic eggplant. Though my dish had a star next to it in the menu (indicating a high spice level), it really wasn't spicy, just sweet. The portions were extremely generous and the food was  relatively inexpensive.

I also mistakenly ordered a tuna and avocado roll, I was looking for a cucumber avocado roll. We took the sushi and our other leftovers and called our friend Sarah. She stopped at our house on her way home from work and happily ate the sushi and eggplant. She thought it all yummy.

Perhaps next time I'm at the main library I'll stop for lunch. Maybe try something a little lighter on the sauce. Or sometime we'll go the the bar to indulge in fruity drinks.







No comments:

Post a Comment