Saturday, June 20, 2015

Food Truck Festival - Elm Park, June 21

Overall impression:  Only for rich foodies.
Alternate tag line:  $5 for the privilege of standing in line.


I love the idea of food trucks. I wish that they were regular occurrences around Worcester. But I didn't love the food truck festival.

I hadn't been before, so when it was advertised at Elm Park I thought it would actually be in the park. Instead it is on Park St. along the western edge. We paid $5 each to get into the blocked-off area. I thought there might be more entertainment type stuff (granted, there was one singer with a guitar, but you could only hear her within 10 feet). Or free sodas or something. No, just (expensive) food.

We only had veggie eggrolls (which tasted fine). That's it, because there were at least 50 people in line for every truck, maybe more. The trucks were parked in the middle of the street, rather than at the far edge. So there was all kinds of room behind them, but everyone in line was wedged into a small area - making it difficult to maneuver through.

I understand food trucks are having a moment, and people are willing to wait 30 minutes to buy grilled cheese. But I have also been to a new eating or drinking establishment every week for the past 6 months (plus I don't blog about the regular places we go) - and I know that there is wonderful food to be had in this city. So the food truck festivals aren't the only option for tastiness. I also understand that if you block the street and have police detail that costs money - hence charging for entrance. But do they really need to block off a street? Couldn't they just ring the park?

A friend asked the other day if I ever did a negative review. This is one.

       Additional note: we walked out behind three guys complaining about the lack of variety at the beer garden. They were sure that they could run said beer garden and whole event better.




No comments:

Post a Comment