Thursday, February 5, 2015

Red Pepper Chinese, 1083 Main St.

Overall impression:  The best Chinese I've had in Worcester. Huge menu, great place to try new things. I will be going back, hopefully many times.

Several things of note happened in the past ten days:  The Worcester record for highest one-day snowfall was broken, The Patriots won the superbowl (woohoo!), Boston had its snowiest one week ever, Worcester got more snow, and then more.  The white stuff and football have kept me from trying a new place, so I'm cheating and writing about a place I went to last month - Red Pepper Chinese restaurant. We went in January for a friend's birthday dinner, and it was there the seed of the idea for this blog was planted. So- yay Red Pepper! Inspiration!

I would have had a good time no matter where we went, being with several women (and my husband) that I enjoy. Plus the birthday girl brought wine for all (its BYOB). So fun was had, and probably would have been had at many venues. But it was a nice bonus that the food was quite tasty. Someone ordered lotus root, that was the first time I had tried it.  Awesome! I especially like the texture, and happily took home leftovers. The menu is gigantic, so I'll have to keep trying new stuff in the future. Lots of veggie options.

The tables in the large room we walked through as we made our way to our seats were filled with people speaking Chinese, first clue that the food would be good. The waitstaff were friendly and flirty. (A friend I told this too, whose family is Chinese, was surprised. But that's what I got - flirtiness. And Eric agrees, I think.) The food was not very pricey, and we got a discount for paying in cash. All in all, a positive experience.  Sorry no pictures from me. But the website (http://www.redpepperworcester.com/) has delicious food photos! We're happy to have a good Chinese option in the city, for when the mood strikes us.

In the next week I'll be looking for a new place with a (cleared) parking lot. (Red Pepper has a parking lot - extra points for them). Unfortunately most of the city's street parking has been swallowed snow drifts, and many sidewalks are impassable. Which is too bad for the cafes and such that rely on foot traffic.  Here's hoping for an early spring. No one actually paid attention to what the groundhog predicted... we were too busy shoveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment