Saturday, February 7, 2015

El Patron Mexican Restaurant, 192 Harding St (6 February)

Overall impression:  Great fresh food, good location, friendly family place. I hope we become regular visitors. Along with lots of other people - go check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/ElPatronMexican192

Tired of being in a holding pattern due to winter weather, we ventured out to the newly-opened El Patron Mexican restaurant for Saturday lunch. My friend Sarah M. was there last night and posted a five-star review on facebook, so I was pretty insistent we try it today. Actually I felt a little jealous of Sarah - I had been anticipating their opening and wanted to get in ASAP! Of course, well - snow, ugh. Anyway, it is at Crompton place, close to that lovely old loom works building.  The parking lot there is always full or cars Saturdays (and full of potholes all days), but it was no problem to find parking on Harding street. Even with the huge banks of snow.

The sweet server put us in the warmest spot available, and we munched on freshly-made tortilla chips while looking at the menu. The other patrons there at the time were all Spanish-speaking, a good sign. Eric got mole enchiladas (chicken) and I got a "drenched" burrito, no meat. The food came very quickly - fast service. Eric's first impression was that the mole sauce was quite strong - I asked him to clarify, but all he could say was "very mole-y". In the end he ate it all and pronounced it very satisfactory. My burrito was good - I liked the tomatilla sauce especially. Just the right amount of zing. It was a huge portion, again I'm looking forward to leftovers. Yes, we tend to live on restaurant leftovers.   ("Mole-y" and "zing" - how obvious is it I'm not a trained restaurant critic?!)

We asked our server about the restaurant and if it was a family business. Indeed it is - her mother cooks, aided by her (the server's) brother and aunt. She manages and waits tables, and a couple of teenager family members were also helping out. I enquired about Sunday hours and found out they are open 7 days a week. How do they get any time to rest? With a new business she said its not like they have money for vacation. She also said they don't have money for advertising - she was happy to hear about Sarah's review. So this is my version of getting the word out - go support this family business. We so needed this authentic Mexican addition to Worcester.








Also today:    An aside - shout out for the Crompton buidling: http://www.preservationworcester.org/pages/documents/BytheCanalTour_PrintVersion.pdf

I think this is a great example of building re-use. My neighbor Steve told me that when he was a kid his dad worked there in what had been Crompton Loom works. I am not familiar with the building's redevelopment story, but now the it has lots of tenants, including Birch Tree bakery, a barbershop that is always full when I walk by, and the Crompton collective, unique antiques/handmade/"upcycled"/artsy stuff. I like to go to the farmer's market on Saturdays, then stop by the Collective, and go to Birch Alley home decor to ogle the pretty things. Having lunch at El Patron is now in the mix. (And probably preferred to standing in a long line and trying to get a sitting spot at Birch Tree on a Saturday - lately its popularity and hipness has been keeping me away on weekends).

No comments:

Post a Comment