Monday, April 6, 2015

Cafe Reyes, 421 Shrewsbury St (April 7, 2015)

Overall impression:  Bright and happy atmosphere, awesome food. Unfortunately open only 7-3 on weekdays, but definitely worth leaving work for a lunch break.

http://www.cafereyes.org/

Spring is almost here, so close. Though tulips are slowly peeking up the world is still mostly gray and muddy. So I felt the need to find a cheery place - and Cafe Reyes is definitely it. My small family unit (Eric and I and my mom, visiting from MN) met our friend there for lunch. Four people, nine different dishes, plus plantain chips to start. Reports: Melissa  - excellent, Eric - very good, me - super tasty and fresh, mom - good (she's Scandinavian, from her that is a glowing review).

I got the Cafe Reyes salad, which had amazing mango dressing, and a side of rice and beans. After seeing the empanadas that others ordered (chorizo and cheese + La Empanada Cubano) I really wish that they had vegetarian options on that front. But there is a veggie sandwich, I'll have to get that next time. My mom got a tuna sandwich she was pleased with, and all my companions loved the plantain chips (I have a banana aversion, and can't do anything even close to bananas). Melissa actually got the fried sweet plantains, a special favorite for her. She also had a yummy-looking pastry.

This breakfast/lunch place is very colorful inside, with vibrant music.  (The speakers may be a little too loud, but that is the only negative part of this review.) There is not an associated parking lot, but parking right on Shrewsbury street is no problem. The restaurant is just a few minutes walk from my husband's work, so he can go there for lunch frequently. I have to wait until flexible work days or days off, unfortunately. But I definitely want to go back whenever I can! I say check it out!







Brief apology:  Its been two weeks since my last blog. I was out of town unexpectedly for sad reasons, and Murphy's law dictated that I got sick right upon my return. But I'm going to try to stay healther and get back out there regularly again.


No comments:

Post a Comment