Sunday, April 12, 2015

Bay State Shawarma, 86 Water St (April 11)

Overall impression:  Yum.

A direct quote from my husband:  "Ok, that was some amazing, amazing shawarma."
http://www.baystateshawarmaandgrill.net/

I had to convince Eric that we should go out for lunch on Saturday. (I've got to get in my weekly quota of new places!). He really wanted to try Bay State Shawarma, but we'd been out for dinner the night before and were meeting a friend at a different restaurant later in the evening, so the thought of venturing out again was a little much. Once we made it there, however, we were very happy. It is so worth dragging a tired body there. The food is delicious.

I wanted falafel and stuffed grape leaves, so I got the veggie plate. It included said items as well as pita, hummus, baba ganoush, rice, salad and pickled veggies. I couldn't eat it all. The falafel and hummus were my favorites, the hummus being nice and garlicky. Eric got the beef shawarma plate. He says it was divine. While we were there another couple came in and got tons of food and bread to go - they were loading up for a trip to NYC.

The dining room is no frills, order at the counter and grab a table. But it is sunny and clean, and was busy even early on a weekend morning. There is a market and bakery in the back. I only explored the market for a few minutes while we were waiting for our order, enough time to check out the spices.  They were very reasonably priced and various (I even found frankincense there, which I thought was interesting even though I am not versed in its uses). Lots of sweets for sale too, I may have to get some of those to bring to my class sometime as a treat.

I think this place has got tons of appeal. We'll be going back again for the tasty food.




No comments:

Post a Comment