Sunday, November 8, 2015

Addie Lee's Soul Food 596 Main St. (November 5)

Overall impression:  Yummy food in a comfy environment
https://www.facebook.com/Addie-Lees-Soul-Food-580869232039716/

This was a week for me to lunch out, away from the work break-room. Sometimes you just need to change it up.  I had been trying to get to Addie Lee's with a colleague from New Orleans for a long time - I figured he'd have more insight into soul food than me, given my midwestern upbringing. That never worked out, so I decided to just set a date and go. Lucky for me my friend Nadine was able to come along. I not only got a second opinion, but also had a fabulous dining companion.

We were among the first customers at 11:45 on a Thursday (they open at 11:30). We ordered and then grabbed the one table that had semi-shade. The dining area is lovely - windows on two sides as the restaurant is on a corner. Unfortunately, the first week in November was disturbingly hot, and the sun pouring in made it feel about 80 degrees inside (it may actually have been 80 degrees). I ate in a tank top. Of course, in mid-winter I will be happy to eat in a pool of sun.

I had mac and cheese and collard greens, which came with corn bread. All was good, and the corn bread was especially nice in that it wasn't overly sweet. Nadine had the lunch special with baked chicken, mac and cheese as her side. She liked everything very well except the chicken, which was a bit dry for her taste. Her plan is to next time try the fried chicken.

Nadine and I had a lot of catching up to do and were engrossed in conversation.  So honestly I didn't pay attention to other diners, how full it got, what seemed a popular dish, etc. (The people who worked there seemed nice, and our food arrived quickly, that I can report).  I'd go there again anytime for food and chatting, though, even if I wasn't "paying attention" for a review I felt very much at home and appreciative of the cooking.

(Sorry no pictures).
P.S. My friend Melissa says the Friday night catfish is excellent!
        P.P.S.  According to Facebook  Nov. 7 was their one-year anniversary!



No comments:

Post a Comment